This recipe combines two of my favourite things. I admit that I have many favourite things but this combination of prawns and tomato and basil sauce never goes wrong. I did use squid inked pasta to accompany the sauce but to be honest,that was just me trying new things and finding out whether the flavours went together because for the boys, I used standard linguine.
It is also up to you if you want to use King prawns with the shell on. I have friends who prefer to cook with shell-on prawns as they believe they retains the flavour but me, I just don’t like the time consuming task that is peeling prawns amidst a sea of pasta. Each to their own, I say.
The beauty of this dish is that it doesn’t just work with prawns. Try adding some chorizo too.
The meal is based measurements for a family of four although I would just add more if Matthew and Daniel came over to stay at the weekend.
- 2 Cans of tinned tomatoes
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- A handful of fresh Basil though other types will do.
- 3 teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic bulb
- 330 g of King prawns( about two packs)
- Half a chorizo ring, medium sliced
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot add tinned tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and basil. cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and chorizo. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve. If you have any leftover Basil Leaves, use it to garnish the meal.
It really is that easy and if you’re boiling pasta whilst making the sauce, you have yourself a very quick mid-week meal on your hands.